For some reason every time I hear or read the words “research project” I cringe, mainly because they have not treated me well in my past experiences. That being said when I start them I find them to be interesting and compelling (as long as I somewhat enjoy the subject. I had to do a research paper my first semester at Antelope Valley College on a classical composer, needless to say that research project did not help my opinion on research projects in general, and I tend to make assumptions that I’m going to have a miserable time whenever I am assigned them. However I have matured since my first semester and I find now that research projects can actually be a good way to express something you might feel strongly about. You can give opinions and back them up with facts that you researched, this is what makes research papers so powerful. Usually when you try to make an argument in person with someone of opposing ideas, you usually have limited ammo (I know I do). But when you research a topic and write it all down, there is no room for counterpoints, and people have to read the paper in full before they make assumptions. I realize I am making it sound like a “persuasive paper” and not a research paper, but you can argue and make valid points in research papers, and people not even know it. I am glad (kind of haha) we got the assignment and choice of the modern day topics involving Iran. Ever since we were attacked on 9-11 and declared the “War on Terror”, I have become very intrigued with Middle Eastern countries, and it became such a relevant topic ever since that incident. I realize Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan are all very different countries, but ever since the eye of America was turned to that particular region of the world, it has become something we now pay attention to. For example, before the war happened I honestly couldn’t find the Middle East on a map, let alone know what was happening over there. I think we need to realize that we as Americans do have it very good compared to many other countries, and I think we tend to jump to a lot of conclusions about other countries and cultures because they are unfamiliar. That aside, I think there is a lot of mistreatment and corruption going on that is against humanity, and when dignity and humanity is being tampered with I think that gives us the right as the most powerful nation on Earth to step in. I have chosen the topic of “Iran’s Nuclear Power Program” because that popped out at me as a subject that I would like to research. Also because I think Nuclear power raises a lot of eyebrows, and given the recent events in Japan I think it is a topic that deserves and needs a lot of attention. As far as the project, as of now it is going ok, I need to do more research and it is turning out to be a very hard subject to grasp. Other than that I should be ok.
Thanks for the optimism and the reminder of the good part of a research paper! I too cringe whenever I hear the word “Research Paper”. I do not mind doing research, I think it is interesting to learn about different topics and searching for information does take time but I can do it with some enjoyment. The writing part of the research paper is what is always so overwhelming. I always look at a research paper in it’s entirety and get overwhelmed. I need to break it down and do it step by step and then it is not so overwhelming. I too am glad that Jennifer gave us the option of writing about a modern topic in Iran. I love Jane Austen’s books and was going to write from the prompt relating Austen to Nafisi’s book, but after a week realized I had no strong thoughts or clear direction with that topic, so I decided to write about women’s rights in Iran. I agree with you, Nuclear Power is a very relevant topic today and many people are interested in it. It is much easier to write about a topic that is of interest and one that you have opinions and ideas about. Good luck with the rest of your paper!
ReplyDelete-E
I also cringe at the words research paper. Just the word alone says a lot of work. These words make me think of work that usually goes past late hours and early mornings. This does not happen for every research paper, but I do know that a lot of reading has to happen and a lot of organizing. I had most of everything go wrong that could go wrong in trying to attain all my sources in a timely manner that would give me enough time to do the research I needed to do. I agree that we Americans have it great compared to other countries. Just reading "Reading Lolita in Tehran", we saw how different countries can be from us. We see all the things they have to go through without what we have like freedom to express ourselves in our hair, clothes, or the way we talk. We are allowed to wear anything we want pretty much.
ReplyDelete