Friday, May 27, 2011

My Writing

I do feel as if my writing has become better because of this class, and I feel as if writing now comes easier to me as a result of this class. For example I used to get 500 word essays assigned to me in High School, and I would freak out as if that was a lot of writing, and now I write over 500 words just on these blog entries every week. I like writing more now as a result of this class, because before I would be worried if something sounded right, and now I just love putting my thoughts down and expressing them through my writing. This class has carried over in to my other classes in that regard and it has helped me with format and substance. I’ve had to write countless essays in my other classes this year and those assignments are better because I know how to structure an essay. The tests we do in Political Science are only two questions every time, but those two questions have many questions within and in order to answer these questions fully you need to develop an entire essay that communicates your thoughts, the teachings of the class, and research you do on your own. Well now that I have an idea of how to properly put these down on my paper it has increased my grades dramatically. I always had the problem that my thoughts always sounded better in my head then they did when I read them aloud off of paper. In other words my essays and paragraphs didn’t fully communicate my thoughts. Now after I read my own essay, I realize that it sounds the same being read as it did in my head. This is very important because I can now thoroughly communicate my thoughts through writing and I feel that this is going to be a much needed skill throughout the rest of my college career as well as throughout the rest of my life. I was never completely lost when it came to writing, but I never felt adequate enough to where I was comfortable writing essays and assignments and turning them in. I feel that taking this English class has given me the confidence I desperately needed to help me complete assignments and communicate thoughts. I use writing on a day to day basis, and this was a much needed class for me. I benefited not only in my academic life but in my home and social life as well. My Mom is a teacher with a master’s degree in English, and My Dad is an administrator with a master’s degree in education. I always felt embarrassed to present my essays and assignment to them, in fear of them picking it apart. Now I am happy to show them my assignments, because rather than criticize the essay and point out all my mistakes, they just help me fine-tune my writings. I have had to make some pretty important emails as of late, and I feel now as if I can adequately communicate my needs or concerns through the email, and whoever is receiving can understand exactly what I am trying to say. All in all I am glad I took this class, it has pushed me in the right direction.

1 comment:

  1. I too can see improvements in my writing through all the practice we have had in this class. Unlike you, I have not learned to enjoy it more. I think it is great that you have discovered a way in which you can enjoy expressing your ideas and thoughts through writing. That in itself is such a great accomplishment and now you not only have met a class requirement and have more college credits, but you also have progressed in the art of expressing your thoughts on paper and that is a skill you will use for the rest of your life! I love when we can learn things in our class that directly will help us in life. You mentioned that you have been confident in writing important emails and that when you read your writing it looks the same as the thoughts in your head, the skills that you have learned in this class have already helped you in other areas in life! It is refreshing to see that all this hard work that we’ve been doing is paying off in different ways! I too have discovered that this and other English classes have helped me in doing well in the essay portion of tests for other classes. This semester I took Intercultural Theater and I was distinguished as one of the people to write a fully developed answer to the question. This is by no means due to any natural ability. Writing is hard for me but with practice from this class and others, I am now able to write an essay question with some ease, clearly communicating what I have learned on a specific subject.

    -E

    ReplyDelete