Friday, April 29, 2011

Proposition 8

As we all know as Californians there was a proposition made to try and ban gay marriage in 2008. Proposition 8 also known as the “California Marriage Protection Act”, was a good indication of the beliefs of Californians, because we voted for it. Californians vote that marriage should be between a Man and a Woman, no same sex marriages allowed. The fact that such a radical proposition was supported by Californians was quite a shock to say the least. California is known to be very accepting of other cultures, and other states view us liberal left wing democrats, which is usually the case, or it has been in the past couple of elections. That’s why this proposition was such a shock, because it showed our true colors. I’m not trying to criticize our state, and that that our majority is wrong, but I am baffled as to why we care so much about this particular subject.
            This seems to be a very sensitive issue, and no matter who you talk to they have an opinion about this. I love that people get fired up and have opinion, it keeps our voters aware and involved, that being said I think there are bigger problems within our country and within California, that we don’t need these laws and propositions to distract us. I think if two people love each other then it should be their right as human beings and especially as Americans to get married. It says in our constitution that we as Americans have the right the “Pursuit of Happiness”, and marriage in my eyes is part of that pursuit. Who are we to take that away from people? How in any way would it affect me if two Women or two Men decided to marry each other? It wouldn’t, plain and simple. That’s why I don’t understand why this is such an issue. Banning Gay Marriage is a form of institutional racism; the government is discriminating against a minority group and throughout history when this kind of thing took place it never turned out good. If the government can tell us who we can and can’t marry, what’s next, what other freedoms are they going to control or take away?
            I remember seeing commercials on this very issue trying to sway people one way or another. Think about all the money that went into campaigning for this proposition. People for Proposition 8 would say things like “think about the kids”, “family matters” and “family values”, meaning that if you supported gay marriage you didn’t care about kids, you didn’t care about families, and you had no family values. This is pretty harsh and can certainly sway a person into supporting this proposition. On the contrary people against Proposition 8, would say nasty inhumane things about people who were against gay marriage. My point is that this kind of language set us back rather then taking us forward as a state, and as a Nation. I am against laws that infringe on our rights as Americans, and this proposition did exactly that. I think if we viewed it more as something that would take away a right rather than the actually subject of the proposition; we might have had a different outcome.

2 comments:

  1. Proposition 8 was a huge debate within California. I remember there being so many commercials about this prop. Just like you said, they mentioned family values and think about the children. When I would even ask people they would say what kind of image does that give to the children? They were so concerned about what the children would think. Or what if the gay married couple adopted a child, how would that child be raised? All of these questions were being brought up of whether or not Proposition 8 was a good idea. The commercials almost made you feel like a bad parent if you voted no. If you voted yes then you would violating the rights of people. Either way it made you feel like a bad person.

    I agree with you that people should have the right to marry who ever they please. I think it is the pursuit of happiness. Getting married to your life partner is the happiest moment of a person’s life, could you imagine if you couldn’t have that? That is what these homosexuals feel. I feel it is unfair and a violation of our rights. I thought California was a state of accepting people for who they are, but we are a more traditional state.

    You are right that we did focus too much of out attention on this rather than the more important things. Don’t get me wrong, it is important, but our financial stability is way more important. We need to be able to survive and this is what we should of focused more of attention on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. California being accepting of other cultures my ass! To me voting yes for this proposition is the same as discrimination, which violates the moral values of the so-called equality preached in the United States Constitution. For once I was truly pissed off at California passing this discriminating proposition and at those whom voted yes for it as well. I know this is going to sound like yet another one of my rant blogs/comments but this is one has relevance to this passed proposition. But to me, if you voted yes on Prop 8, then you promote hate. Nobody has any right to deny any person(s) of their happiness whether it be heterosexual or homosexual, and yet this proposition explicitly denies legal marriage between homosexual couples.

    This goes to show how ignorant and discriminative people can be, especially in California, showing that discrimination knows no bounds. As a matter of fact I remember one of my relatives voted yes on this proposition as well, I asked her why and she gave me an invalid answer and I did not speak to her for the rest of that month. I was seventeen when this prop was passed, nearly three years have passed and my perspective about this discriminative proposition has not changed and shall remain as it is, for I detest blatant ignorance.

    ReplyDelete