I believe all people have a different way of communicating what they are trying to say, whether it is tone, pitch, volume facial expression, that being said I think there are major differences between men and women. I think women tend to utilize these aspects of communication in a more exaggerated way then men do. Men as a whole tend to be more direct, and usually easier to read. Women are sometimes saying one thing very convincingly, but they mean something completely different (at least in my personal experiences). I remember I was in class in high school and there were these two girls talking very bad about another girl who they weren’t to fond of at all, but when that girl entered the room they put on a smile and welcomed her as if she was their best friend. I found this to be very interesting because usually if I didn’t like someone I stayed away from that person and didn’t talk to them or associate with them at all. But with the instance with these three girls, the one girl who the other two didn’t like had no idea at that moment of how bad those girls were just talking about her, because they talked in a welcoming high pitched tone and made her feel welcome, and in the mean time they were thinking about how much they hated her. I have also noticed that girls like to touch more than guys. I think this is a way of making that person feel comfortable. Girls are better listeners, that is a fact, so when girls nod their head and touch your arm they are communicating that they care and are their for you. Guys don’t touch as much or use these nonverbal cues as much as girls do. Guys seem to make less eye contact, when having a conversation, and don’t really give nonverbal feedback like smiles or nods. Guys usually give a casual “uh-huh” or “yeah” to acknowledge the conversation. These different uses of communication tend to cause some conflict between men and women, it cause lot of miscommunication and misinterpretation. Men and women in the United States all speak the English language, but I think we all might speak a different language. It depends how you interpret the definition of language, but I think all these different types of communication between both sexes infers that we do in fact speak two different languages. I think if we did speak the same language things would certainly be different, and not in a good way. If we spoke the same language I don’t think we would be able to learn from each other and get different perspectives. I think a lot of the time the perspective from a man and a women help solve a conflict, and prevent a lot of conflicts. What would we gain from one perspective? It would be a very boring world. I think when women started to get a voice in our country and be able to communicate their opinions and thoughts, that when our country took a huge leap forward.
There are definitely obvious differences between men and women when it comes to communicating. These differences are probably the easiest to identify. I agree with you that men are more simple by nature where women are generally more complex. I think you pointed out the most obvious difference between the sexes and that is “touch” I know that as a female, I have a tendency to interact with people and especially people I am close to and make them feel comfortable or show that I am genuine by simply consuling them through a sense of simple touch. I really found your experience with those two rude girls to be interesting and not surprising at all. As a girl I encounter situations like these all the time. I am proud to say that I do not communicate in this manor at all. People I do not like I have a tendency to keep my distance from just like you do. I guess they are thinking keep your friends close and your enemies closer? It’s sad to think that this concept especially at the high school level will never change. That is minus the few exceptions. Unfortunately the exceptions do not represent enough of the student population to even make a dent.
ReplyDelete