Sunday, February 13, 2011

Critical Thinking


3) Create your your first blog/reading journal entry.  In it, I would like you to explore what critical thinking means to you.  What are your own personal habits when it comes to reading and thinking critically?  Do you apply these habits in all areas of your life or only in some?  Do you analyze politics? The media? Academic work? Professional endeavors?  End your blog by discussing how you expect this class to alter your analysis skills and how you might view the world differently by the end of the term.

For me Critical Thinking means that before I express my beliefs or opinions I do research on those certain subjects and I gather evidence do back up what I believe, that way if it comes up in conversion I can make valid points to support myself and back up those opinions or beliefs. Critical Thinking would also be used in decision making, say I wanted to buy a new car, I wouldn’t just find the first cool car I saw and buy it, I would research the car find out how reliable it is, the kind of gas mileage it gets, safety, things that like. This would narrow down my list of cars and I would make a decision based off of what I thought would fit me, and my needs the best.

Personally I don’t use critical thinking in my life as much as I would like to. I use it very well when it comes to sports and sports equipment, because that stuff is so important to me. I always test equipment and read reviews before I buy it. When it comes to beliefs, like religion or politics, I have strong opinions, but sometimes I don’t gather enough research or evidence to make an impact. My school work; calls for a lot of critical thinking and it is crucial if I want to fully complete the assignment, so I use it all the time in school. In my job working construction I always had to ask questions and read instructions otherwise I could make a mistake that would either cost a lot of time and money or make a mistake that could cause serious injury.

Hopefully by the end of this class I will learn how to properly think critically, and use all the resources given to me, so that way I can have a better understanding of everything in my academic, athletic, and economic world. At the end of this class I should be able to make more persuasive and valid arguments so I can have a greater impact on my peers. I expect to analyze things more thoroughly, even now I tend to not read things as I should like instructions and I always end up having to go back and read it over and over again because I missed something and did the assignment wrong.This is a skill I need to gain not only for this class but also for all of the classes I am enrolled in as well as my future classes a long with my future professions

No comments:

Post a Comment