We all have a certain way of communicating with other people, it doesn’t matter if you are talking in a group of people and you are all speaking English, you are still using different language and choice of words. This different use of language and choice of words seeps through our literature as well. This all reflects how we were raised, where we grew up, who we hang out with et cetera. Our language defines us as a person it makes up who we are. You can always be compared to other people but you can never be them.
Famous authors, screenwriters or play writes can always be recognized by the tone, use of language and choice of words. If you were watching a play that was written by Shakespeare, but you didn’t know it at the time you would be able to figure it out by the conversations happening on stage, through his writing. James Madison was a very articulate thorough writer and I can sometimes identify his writings without knowing beforehand. The point I’m trying to make is that the way we write is a big part of who we are, almost like our eye or hair color.
I am a somewhat simple writer, and I usually don’t stray too far from the subject being discussed. Some people can get away with using enormous words throughout their writings; I can’t really do this because when I write I try to write as if I was talking to someone, so I use the words I would use in person which are usually somewhat simple and direct. After looking back on some of my earlier essays I learned that I tend to reiterate a lot, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it can be in excess. I think the reason I do it is because I want to make myself clear (either that or I’m trying to fulfill a requirement haha). I’ve found that the things I love most tend to pop up a lot in my writings, like my family, my girlfriend, friends, sports, at least one of those is in every essay. I try to make a lot of sports analogies in my writings, I do this because It is easy for me to explain and it relates to my life, but I also know that most everybody loves sports so the analogies are usually relevant to most people. I try to influence my readers or sway them into my ideals by using logic and reason, not so much sympathy. I’m not a very emotional guy and you can tell by my writings. So if I’m trying to convince someone of something I don’t want to use sympathy to make them feel bad in order to agree with me, I just use the facts at hand and my opinion, and maybe even a little motivation. Motivation is used in every day life, everybody needs some motivation every once in a while to keep the fire burning. My writing is a part of me and I will always view it as such, but it does need improvement and I hope to improve always.
I like your style! I am the same way, however; the downfall for me is that I am a girl, people expect me to be able to ramble. I am great at bottom-lining things. I can nutshell just about anything.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first read the syllabus for this class I nearly passed out! I must confess that this class has stretched me quite far outside of my comfort zone. We have been writing, if you add in the Thinking Critically exercises, over 2,000 words a week! YIKES! I feel so proud.
I love your analogy about our writing is a part of our identity like our eye color or hair color. I have never thought about that way but it is so true. If you have ever seen a CSI produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, you can identify most of his Television series based on his “fingerprint”. We can go a step farther in your analogy, as you have implied, and say that what we will leave behind when we are gone is what we have been able to communicate to others throughout our lives. Our style of who we are will forever be hallmarked after we are gone.
Unlike you I am not comfortable with my simple writing. I have spent countless hours with the online thesaurus open in a separate window while writing to find substitution words for all my simple jargon, (while trying to fill a requirement, LOL). My personal analysis of your writing is that it is exactly how you have described it; it is easy to follow, easy to comprehend. I love it.
I agree with Cole when he said that one’s writing is a part of who they are. It is true that a person’s writing can represent a person’s character. That is why I want to teach myself to be a better writer and express my thoughts and feelings clearly on paper. My work will be part of my past, a past that cannot be changed. It will tell a story of who I was.
ReplyDeleteRight now I would like nobody to read my writing projects because they are so raw and hardly make sense to me. I know, your probably thinking then why is you writing? If we want to be better at something then a person must practice. This is me practicing my writing skills. I also think that it helps to use analogies, without analogies people might have trouble understanding what you are trying to say.
What also helps me write is using a thesaurus. Just like Marie I also keep it near me when I am writing. Handy dandy thesaurus, what would I do without you! The thesaurus and dictionary have really helped me become a better writer. So let’s keep on practicing together. Cole you are doing a great job keep it up.
It could be possible that much of it had to do without the pressure to perform. I think too that you are like most writers that use what they know. You mentioned that you draw references from your life and persons close to you. I think it’s always wonderful to have that connection that grounds you but allows you the experience to be creative in your writing. Besides its life’s experiences that can relate to a reader and make for most interesting read. I really enjoyed your blog this week. You sound like you know who you are as a writer and have communicated that there is still room for improvement. I think this is great because some people tend to think that they have it all down. You also mentioned that you reiterate a lot of the time so as to make clear your thoughts. I also tend to does this but at times it does seem that I’m fumbling over my words or deviate from the prompt. It’s a writer obstacle I suppose. I like reading past essays that I have written as well to see where I began and were I’m at as a writer. I feel at times that back then that my writing had more depth
ReplyDeleteOur language is a key factor and shapes us into who we are today. You couldn’t have said it better when you described it being a part of us like a trait such as the color of our hair or eyes. I like reading your blogs because I find them easy to comprehend. The simplicity and repitition is not a bad thing at all. I think you do a great job conveying your message especially when you use examples to get your point across. When you use life experiences or common knowledge that you obtain day to day that is your unique way of creating a personable article. I think that more people then you are aware of are able to connect to you and your style of writing. You should never give up expressing your thought, ideas, personality or self through writing. I think this is a great outlet for you teach some of your communication skills. I love that you paint a picture for the reader. I never have to question your work or wonder what you meant? If anything you open my mind to new things and I leave wondering more in depth about what you wrote. For example, I am leaving now wondering more in depth just how my language and writing shapes me and how people perceive my work. If my feedback is anywhere near yours then I will know I am in great shape :)
ReplyDelete